General dentist are the best resources to utilize when looking to maintain good oral health. They are responsible for providing routine oral care to patients of varying ages. Additionally, they can perform general dentistry procedures, ranging from teeth whitening to dental filling placement. Because general dentists have such a big role in oral health, it…
Things You Should Know About Dentures Right Now
Dentures have changed quite drastically in the last several years. Modern dentures are sturdy, flexible and very natural looking. You most likely will not even be able to tell when someone is wearing them! Read on to learn all about dentures.
What are dentures?
Dentures are custom-made artificial teeth and gums that form to your mouth to replace lost or removed teeth. In most cases, dentures are removable. They are generally made of porcelain or hard resin and can be either complete dentures or partial dentures.
Complete dentures are used when all the teeth are missing. They can be fitted to both your top and bottom gum line. Some dentures use suction to stay in place, while others use an oral adhesive. A complete set of dentures is worn throughout the day but removed for cleaning and sleeping at night.
This form of denture is often best when you are only missing a few teeth. A partial denture is a flexible plastic frame with one or more prosthetic teeth attached to it. Partial dentures can either be clipped on to your remaining natural teeth or cemented into place as a permanent bridge.
How to care for dentures
It is essential to care for dentures, but luckily, the necessary care is quite simple. Rule number one is always to clean your dentures at least twice a day. Cleaning is done in a few steps:
- Brush: Carefully remove food residue, plaque and tartar by gently brushing with a denture brush or soft toothbrush and denture paste
- Soak: Allow your dentures to soak overnight in warm water and a dissolvable denture cleaner
- Brush and rinse: After soaking throughout the night, you will want to brush again and rinse
Do not forget that your gums need care as well. Gently brush your gums with a very soft toothbrush or soft washcloth before inserting and after removing your dentures. There are a few things you will want to avoid to keep your dentures in great shape.
Foods to avoid
- Coffee and tea: Caffeine dehydrates you and can lead to dry mouth, which can cause your dentures to rub and irritate your gums
- Crunchy or sticky foods: Sticky foods, such as caramel or fruit chews, will almost always dislodge your dentures
- Crunchy foods, nuts and seeds: Small bits of popcorn, nuts or seeds can get lodged between your dentures and gums. This can lead to pain and irritation
- Hard-to-chew foods: Corn on the cob, whole apples or carrots can put too much pressure on the front of your dentures and lead to sore spots in your mouth
Products to avoid
- Regular toothpaste: Regular toothpaste is much too abrasive for dentures and can cause damage such as scratches or wearing down of material
- Bleaching products: Bleaching cream or rinse can weaken dentures and make them more susceptible to damage, as well as discolor in a way that looks less natural
If you still have questions about dentures or are not sure if dentures are right for you, call our office. We can work with you to find a denture option that suits your lifestyle.
Check out what others are saying about our denture care services on Yelp: Denture Care.
A Dental Cleaning is a vital part of maintaining good oral health. Nonetheless, many individuals still skip their dental cleanings due to a busy schedule or feeling confident that oral hygiene is under control. At-home oral hygiene is a great way to maintain good oral health; however, the help of a professional general dentist is…
A Dental Emergency can be a difficult situation for people. Suffering a mouth injury or dealing with an unexpected oral health issue is oftentimes very scary. It can also be difficult to determine exactly what needs to be done to ensure the situation is taken care of properly.Fortunately, there are certain steps that everyone can…
Wondering if you should choose a general dentist to provide you with dental restoration services? General dentists often perform restoration procedures on their patients. These are typically necessary to improve a patient's oral health.Looking for a new general dentist in Edina? While there are many different types of dentists who can perform dental restorations on…